Sunday, August 2, 2009

I have a bi orb and try to keep tropical fish. My problem is the tiny fish I buy are fine, but if I buy larger

fish they die by the next day. I dont know what I am doing wrong. All the tiny fish I have bought have survived but the larger fish (mollys and like sizes) keep dying. Can anyone help me.
Answers:
Molly aren't the most hardy of fish, and are bad 1st fish for an aquarium as they don't take the early ammonia spikes well. Also they really need a tank of 30 gallons or more for molly. Most likely your ammonia levels are to high due to not cycling the tank. (see cycle tank in any search engine.)

I stick to fish like platty/swordtail, guppy, danio, killifish*, and dwarf gouramis**.


*Killy/killi comes from a dutch word meaning channel or ditch. These African are fairly peaceful, and hardy despite their name.
**Dwarf gourami do well in small tank, but you need to watch your ammonia levels, and over crowding.
NO NO NO!! Any fish in a bowl is bad, let alone mollys and other fish of their size. DO NOT get danios either. They are way to active to put in a proper 10 gal tank, let alone a bowl. My advice is to return all fish and get a larger tank, or maybe a nice home for a betta,

No comments:

Post a Comment