Sunday, August 2, 2009

I have a blue male betta fish, whose head and lower fins have turned a red color?

I keep my fish in my dorm room, and had never seen this type of scary color change. I took him home for the fall break, and ever since I got here, his fins and head are red. I changed his water a couple of times since and I stoped feeding him because I was scared it was because I overfed him. After about 2-3 days of not feeding, I finally decided to again. Now, he's still red. I keep him at the warmest parts of the house so he's not cold. I don't understand . what am I supposed to be doing??
Answers:
Theres nothing wrong with your beta. my beta changed from blue to red. He could be looking for a pretty female beta to attract.. is he making a bubble nest??
it may just be his color sceme i wouldnt worry to much about it they do change colors often
NOTHING! As long as his fins aren't torn up and gummy looking he is fine. His fins are the easiest way to determine his health. They may change color but as long as there isn't anything growing on them and they are "perky" then he is in good health.
NOTHING IS WRONG!! Dont ever stop feeding any animal!! Beta's change colors..
He may have different gens in him, or have a disease. But don't stop feeding him. because that may make him worse. If he has a good appitite, he may not be sick, or just have different gens that he got from his parents, even though he is blue. You might need to gets some good meds. Here is a great website for those. www.bettatalk.com Go to "buy suplies and then click on meds. You would have lots of luck with the betta first aid kit. Keep feeding him, and that is very good to keep him in warm parts of the house. Just keep a good eye on him. ;-)
Actually if you've been over feeding him stopping feeding him for 2-3 is a good thing to do. A betta can go a week easily without food with no ill effect. (Note doing this more than every 3-4 month isn't very healthy.) You should be feeding him about as much as the size of his eye ball once a day 5-6 days a week. Skipping a day once a week will help prevent bloating.

As far as the color change. It depends. If you've had him for less than 6 months he could just be maturing. After their 1st year of life bettas don't change color much. (Store bettas are 6-12 months old.) Food changes can also cause color change. Did you go to a better betta food?

Sadly the most common cause of color change is disease. In the case of turning red the only thing I can thing of is velvet. Turn out the light, and shine a flashlight on the fish. If he has a red/gold miston his scales it's velvet. Velvet can be treted with ich/ick meds, salt and temp. (Note hold off increasing temp until you get the ich meds.)
Betta change color as they get oldier some will change completetly while some will only change slightly. There's nothing wrong with your betta. Actually if you watch him as the season go by he'll change different colors. There color changing ability goes back to the days when they were being used in rice patty's in china and japan to keep larva infestations down. As the rice patty's changed color so did the betta to protect themselves against birds and other animals looking for food. So be happy that just means your betta is healthy and happy.
it might be the food that your feeding it. i have 3 male bettas and 1 female,2 blue and 2 red.i feed mine color enhancing fish food,so they change all the time-like the blue ones fin will turn green or the red one might get white tips or somehthing of that nature.
Matting time

2 comments:

  1. beta fish tank care
    wow... find it interesting... hope it'll be beneficial for me and my friends...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a blue fish that turned red too, I noticed he doesn't eat when I drop the pelits in his tank but he also stays in between the tank and the filter. I just changed his water yesterday and kept the temperature the same so it wouldn't shock him but now he's pail and wont move away from the filter, but when he does he lets himself float around in the tank. I don't know if he's dieing or just is acting weird. I need help with it quick, I'm staring to worry even more everytime I look at him.

    ReplyDelete