Sunday, August 2, 2009

I have a bubble tip anenome and 2 ocilerius clown fish, the fish won't swim in the anenome.?

I have a 55 gallon tank with alot of live rock (1/2 the tank). I have about 8 fish total. 2 of the fish are clown fish that I had since I started up the tank about 4 months ago. About a week ago I introduced a bubble tip anenome with the hope that the clown fish would enjoy swimming in it. The fish have not even gone near it. I dropped food into the anenome and one of the clown fish went in and got the food and never returned back. The guy at the fish store said just give it time. Is that true? Will it just take time or will the fish never swim in it? Also there is a possiblity that the anenome is splitting. But I'm not sure.
Answers:
They have alot of different types of clowns sold at the LFS as well as different types of anemones. I would wait a few more days and see what happens. You can always try the haitian pink tip anemone, these are fairly cheap and easy to care for. Plus it depends on the size of the anemone you have. I've know clows to go into frogspawns, hammer corals and even goniporas.
anenome in the ocean causes mildly poisonous stings, to which fish become immune to.but I am not sure if pet store fish would be be immune to this or not but thats what I think the problem is.
Many clowns now are tank raised, and so they have no familiarity with anemones, nor really a need. Also, there are only certain clowns with certain anemones. It's not a mix and match thing. (the Percula clown for example, only hosts with one kind of anemone (can't recall the name) and they have yet to manage to get that anemone to thrive in captivity) so, you may just end up with two very cool, but separate creatures in your tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment