Friday, July 31, 2009

I have 2 koi fish in a pond along with goldfish. I read somewhere that the Koi like oranges and lemons?

but not the rind! If I give the Koi orange/lemon (assuming this is true!) will it harm the goldfish? Only serious answers here as my goldfish could be at risk! Thanks.
Answers:
Go for it! There isn't a problem feeding citrus fruits to koi and goldfish as they are similar species and being omnivores the vitamin C helps protect them from disease. Goldfish being smaller may find it difficult biting into them to start with so it might be best to break the flesh of the fruit up a bit. A variety of foods are good for koi and goldfish as treats but remove any they leave. My koi love slices of watermelon and peas:)
I would try a small piece at first. Citrus has a lot of acid in them and I don't know how this will effect the water quality. With a small piece you can see if the koi like it and you can remove it quickly if there are no takers.

Good Luck and Take Care
I've never heard of oranges or lemons, but I have a koi pond myself and I know both koi and goldfish love triscuit crackers, bagged spinach, and frozen green peas. They love it and will eat it right up and it's good for them too.
i've heard that this is the most recent popular thing to do, just be careful and don't pollute your water
I do know that goldfish and koi enjoy cooked spinach and peas
and like to nibble on watermelon, bread is ok and cereal like corn flakes, mine like dry cat food
several years ago all the shops were putting zucchini in all the tanks
its the coi that like it yes , but gold fish i have never had gold fish
in Korea they feed there coi on this before they eat it for taste hope this helps , "B"
i wouldn't. i know some people feed koi this for a few days bafore they eat them and that's fine but i assume you're keeping them as pets. be careful. don't feed them too much or it will acidify your water too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment