Monday, May 24, 2010

I have guppies. They have never had any fry. What might I be doing wrong?


Answers:
Dorseys is right, one thing you can do is add salt. Doc Wellfish Freshwater Aquarium Salt is a good start b/c it doesn't have any additives. I've had luck with livebearers at a teaspoon for every two gallons. In fact, even if this doesn't get them to breed, it will make your guppies much happier. Another thing I have noticed with my livebearers, is sometimes they will stay rounded, holding their babies, if the aquarium is too crowded, or if there is a larger species of fish in the tank they see as a danger to the fry (I know, silly since they are a danger to their own fry too). Lastly, buy a test kit to test your pH, and make sure your temperature is ideal. From what I remember, livebearers prefer a slightly alkaline pH (7.2-7.8), and water temperatures in the high seventies. But, I'd do a google search on guppy water conditions to double check.
are you sure they're male and female? cuz male guppies are more colorful..
The adults are probably eating the young..you need breeding tanks.
If you are SURE that you have both males and females and you WANT babies, you can try adding some salt to their water. I believe most all freshwater fish should have some salt in their water. Mine all do great and always have. Since I don't know the galloons of your tank, I can't tell you how much, but for starters, a tablespoon or two for a ten gallon is suffecient. When I say salt, I DO mean marine salt OR freshwater Fish salt, NOT table salt. I have my guppy tank in an almost brackish water environ. and they populate like CRAZY! You may also make sure that your water is free of toxins like amonia and Nitrates. If your water quality is healthy, your fish should be healthy and have babies.
Don't. I had 557 and it is crap trying to keep them alive. I spent to much money on them and my 20 females are prego again. My one male is a wounder with the ladies.
very likely hey are eating them as they are born.guppies are very cannibalistic

No comments:

Post a Comment