Saturday, May 22, 2010

I have a outdoor fish pond with goldfish. should i try and keep a heater in the pond for this winter?

The pond is only 270 gals.
Answers:
I have an outside pond to with mosquito fish. Depend on where u live is your answer I would if you live in an area that has snow but if u live in like Florida or California You might not need to. all you really need to do is make sure the water doesn't freeze . And if you didn't know goldfish kind of Hibernate if the water gets colder . Anyway good luck!
let them die..
wahahahahahaah!
they deserve that
Yes if its only 270 gallons, but make sure you have a fountain or pump running constantly, fish need circulating water by which to breathe. If the water stays warm enough all winter you can continue to feed them, but if it were me seeing your pond is only 270 gal, and its not deep enough for them to go down to the bottom and properly go dormant for the winter, I would bring the fish inside and put them in a 110 gal aquarium for the winter.
outdoor ponds are very cool
i have one myself ,first off all fish are cold blooded
animals fish do not need a heater even in the coldest of all temperatures
What part of the country/world do you live in, and what are your Winter's like?

Check out pond equipment from Hagen (your friendly makers of the world famous Fluval Canister Filters - yes - they make pond stuff too!)
the fish usually hibernate when it gets below like 60 degrees F in the water. some will die some will live. its part of nature.
You can put a heater in it, but I don't think its a must. 2 winters ago I left my goldfish in my garden pond all winter long and all but three lived when the ice melted and got warmer. I had 25 gold fish in the pond. And my graden pnd isn't real deep. If I stand in the center of it it comes to a little above the knee cap. Then I had a few die in the summer and when winter came last year I put the remainder in a 55 gallon fish tank and that was 18 gold fish. this summer I put them back out in the pond. So its what will work best for you. If you do leave the fishin the pond this winter and they don't make it then just go to the store and buy new gold fish to replace the one's that died. good luck.
it all depends on where you live and how deep your water is, if there is a possibility of the water freezing solid then you will need a heater or move the fish indoors for the winter
goldfish doesn't need a heater if they are living in pond but be sure that your pond gets enough sun light during winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment