Monday, May 24, 2010

I have just bought a red pacu from a local petshop any info on what is the best food for pacus?


Answers:
Good question Turero,
I hope you have a Large fish aquarium The pacu can get large fast for these fish can get up to 3 + feet in length.. As far as good food for the Pacu.. Even though they are a cousin to the Pahraina in the wild they eat berries, veggitation etc. In captivity they will eat anything you place in the tank that they can fit in their mouth.. I recomend a varaity of foods. feed chiclid pellets, as well as peices of silversides ( a frozen silver fish i reccomend for the small pacu to go with the Omega One brand because they are smaller fishes then other brands) fruits, berries, and veggies. Depending on the size, frozen and/or freeze dried krill, feeder guppies etc.
.Any further questions feel free to email Dj at djnelson@aquarealmAquarium.com
I imagine they would do well on cichlid flakes or pellets with some frozen brine shrimp thrown in. I'd avise checking into this part of my answer before acting on it. In South America they fish for pacus using crab apples for bait. I don't know if commercially bred pacus have a taste for fruit but their river born cousins do.
I hope you have a big tank! My pacu's got to be the size of dinner plates! I fed them trout pellets, you can buy a 50lb bag for $10 at a feed(farm animal) store. I also gave them treats like cut up beef heart, blood worm(both frozen and freeze dried), crikets and any bug I caught around the home! Good luck!
I fed my pacus goldfish and they ate them.
they LOVE worms, eat them like candy
Algae wafers or green veggies
Paco's will eat pretty much anything they can get in there mouth. The problem is, they get enormous! 24-36 inches is not unussual and they grow rapidly. Please, if you don't have at least a 300 gallon tank for them, return them to the fish store. Paco's shouldn't even be sold in fish stores because keeping them in small tanks is extreamly cruel.
Sorry, but they're right, that fish is going to be huge. I would take it back to the pet store. I wish they would stop selling fish like that. Scroll down a bit to get an idea how large it will be.

To answer your question, they'll eat most anything, flakes, pellets, frozen blood worms, etc. and according to this link fingers lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/pacu_(fish).

http://www.bluephoton.com/fish/index.htm.
My Pacus liked anything, if they could eat it they did. I agree with below, they love worms. We had 2 pacus that lived with our Frontosa Cichlids until they got too big and they ate cichlid flakes and raw shrimp. As our fish were bigger we started getting UNCOOKED frozen shrimp and thowing them, they loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment