Monday, May 24, 2010

i have an oscar who is about 9 inches long is it safe to put a freshwater puffer in with him?

i already have a blue gourami and a very large goldfish in with my oscar, he doesn't seem to bother them
Answers:
I personally would do some species research on the mixing of Chiclids with Puffers before doing that. I wasn't able to find anything in my normal searches, but you could pose this question on a few different hobbyist boards, and I am sure you could get some good tips.

http://www.aquariacentral.com
http://www.aquariumboard.com

Good luck!
I say give it a try if it's not too small, since the oscar doesn't mess with the others. But when you add him, rearrange the tank so that new territories can be formed. And keep an eye on them for awhile to make sure everything is fine.
lmao, that could so be taken the wrong way.ok, I am bad, I will go to sleep now!
I dont know.I also have an oscar and he really doesn't get alone with other living things. He's killed everything I put in there, 1 smaller oscar, 3 Cyclades, 2 little crab guys and 2 algae eaters. The only fish that has managed to co-exist with him is a catfish about the same size. It was really fun to watch those two fight at first too, the catfish would swim circles and butt the oscar. Then the oscar would grab rocks from the bottom and drop them on the catfish like he does the crabs. They eventually found out they cant kill each other though.
putting a puff in with oscar who is 9" long is a recipe for a immoral disaster
No way!! unless you want fish eating each other. the freshwater puffer fish has teeth and it will take ou chunks of your fish.
No. The oscar will most likely eat it. Oscars are suppose to be in a tank by themselves
Depending on the species, puffers can be aggressive. It'll probably harass the goldfish (and maybe even the oscar and gourami) because puffers are notorious fin nippers. Plus they are equipped with fused teeth forming beaks and can inflict damage or bite chunks out of fish.

The puffer probably won't get eaten by the oscar (puffers inflate during circumstances like that, and if they do happened to be swallowed, many puffers are poisonous if eaten).

If you want to maintain harmony in your tank, I wouldn't recommend adding a puffer
I wouldn't try it. Oscars accept other fish as tank mates the best when they are all introduced as small juveniles. Your Oscar is now too big for that and will eat (or at least try) to eat anything else you put in the tank.
I believe puffers are poisonous, they have that poison sac in them. Wouldn't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment